Date: 7/3/19 10:07 am
From: Priscilla Sokolowski <priscillanhk...>
Subject: [obol] Green Heron eating 5" Lampreys - Delta Ponds
After photographing the Red-shouldered Hawk Tuesday morning, and while
standing in the same place. I noticed a Turkey Vulture and three Green
Herons all within 20 feet of each other, perched on fallen logs. Two
fledged Green Herons on logs and one adult feeding along the silty
shoreline of a narrow channel with no current (at this time). The adult
Green Heron caught what I thought was a small snake, then another the same
size, then yet another and finally a fourth one - all within 6 minutes and
all the same size. By the time he caught the second one I saw in my photos
that these were not snakes at all. They had flattened ("keeled") tails -
although the body and tail were not distinct from one another but one
continuously evolving shape from cylindrical to keeled. There do not seem
to be many species to pick from, so unless someone introduced some exotic
species these must be some kind of Lamprey. Since there were four of them
in a six-foot stetch of silty shoreline, there must be "something going on"
with them - ie arriving, spawning, emerging / metamorphosing ...? Do any of
you know about these interesting critters?

Priscilla Sokolowski

Join us on Facebook!