Date: 7/3/19 6:49 am
From: Tony Eason via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Westport: Interest Blue Jay behavior
I was having coffee early this morning and it began raining Fall webworm caterpillars onto our patio.  Above, blue jays were tearing apart a webworm nest in our sweet gum tree.  After a while a blue jay came down to the patio and began grabbing caterpillars and scraping them on a rock (presumably, to remove the noxious hairs) and then eating them one after another.  There were definitely young jays in the mix as they were begging for food.