Date: 7/2/19 8:37 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Hatch-year Red-Shoulder Hawk - Delta Ponds Eugene..
This is as lovely a raptor as I have ever seen, and very much an adult. Note the bright yellow cere(fleshy tissue surrounding the nostrils at base of bill). Immature Raptors, including the unrelated falcons, have a gray or blue gray cere. Mature birds have a yellow cere. This is a very pale headed individual. I suppose leucistic. I see some of the barring on the breast, but it is pale to the point of ghostly. LarsSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Priscilla Sokolowski <priscillanhk...> Date: 7/2/19 8:02 AM (GMT-08:00) To: OBOL <obol...> Subject: [obol] Hatch-year Red-Shoulder Hawk - Delta Ponds Eugene I have been hearing about Red-shouldered Hawks at Delta ponds for maybe a year, along with some speculation about there being a nest, either here or across the river perhaps in the Razor Park area. I don't know if nesting has been confirmed or not, but Sunday July 1, at Delta Ponds along the river bike path, I took the following photo of what looks to me like a young Red-shouldered Hawk. Notes: "scruffy crown feathers"; lack of rufous color on head or shoulders; tail seems short - ie not fully grown in. Priscilla Sokolowski

Join us on Facebook!