Date: 7/1/19 7:15 pm
From: Brodie Cass Talbott <brodiecasstalbott...>
Subject: [obol] Purple Martin nesting in The Dalles
Last night I visited the Dalles riverfront trail to check in on the Purple
Martins that Stuart Johnston found last month
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57016108>. Soon after arriving at the
dolphin <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_(structure)> (a term I was
unaware of for a marine structure) I saw a female fly into the hollow pipe.
It remained in this pipe for about ten minutes, cautiously peering out
after some time, perhaps wary of the Peregrine that had been circling the
area. I thought I might have heard one other bird distantly, but otherwise
there were no other martins observed. The pipe did have some straw-type
materials protruding from it, as can be seen in the photos in my checklist.
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57828704>

This is one of the furthest east records for nesting PUMA in Oregon that I
can find, thanks to Stuart for the find!

Good birding,
Brodie

Join us on Facebook!