Date: 7/1/19 11:21 am
From: Allan Strong <Allan.Strong...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Boblink weather event?
Hi Carl,

What you are describing isn't that uncommon at this time of year. Wind and rain can often flatten parts of hayfields, especially where the grass is very dense. In general though, we only seem to have large-scale abandonment when there is standing water on the fields and nests are flooded. We are into peak fledging season for Bobolinks, so there should be young that are out of the nest at this time. But, generally it takes a week or so post-fledging before the adults and young move very far from their nests.

We are past the point of time when Bobolinks will renest, so large-scale nest failure could result in birds leaving the field, aligning with what you observed. However, I would agree that the weather on the 29th would have been sufficiently severe to cause nest failure. But, I do wonder about the storms on the 26th which were pretty intense.

Allan