Date: 7/1/19 11:19 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Bandon- Nesting Bluebirds- 6/28/2019
Bruce Williams reported that Western Bluebirds fledged young in his yard in
Bandon on 28 June. He lives about four blocks from the beach. This is the
first ever coastal nesting I know of in the county. In Curry this species
nests on the outer coast at the Wahl ranch near Cape Blanco. They also
nest up Floras Creek in Langlois which is just a couple miles inland or
so. There is no nesting in Coos Bay I know of and normally one has to go
inland to the warmer valley areas or up into the Coast Range to recent
clearcuts with snags to find nesting birds. It seems like during winter,
there have been bluebirds in Bandon fairly regularly for the last few years
though. On the Coos Bay CBC, when bluebirds are found, they are normally on
the east edge of the circle except for years where really nasty weather can
bring them further west and to the beach. They have been reported on the
beach in Bandon the past few winters though (not during particularly nasty
weather) so things are a changing.

Catbird singing away at Millicoma Marsh this AM- hard to get use to even
after 20 days...

Merry July!
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay