Date: 7/1/19 11:13 am
From: Nathaniel Wander <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender nathaniel_wander for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Sitting in the catbird seat
People in the southeastern US, where Gray Catbirds breed, believe that the male does not sing while it's mate is on the nest.  Hence, the ageing expression: "sitting in the catbird seat," which is supposed to describe a poker player with a good hand who was giving nothing away.
The phrase gained national currency when used by the Mississippi-born Red Barber, who broadcast for the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 'forties & early 'fifties, then for the Yankees through '66.  If the Dodgers were up by two runs late in the game, no outs, a man on second and their best spot hitter at the plate, Barber was fond of saying they were "sitting in the catbird seat."  All they needed was to 'bring the game home.' not to talk about it.
Lovely as this all is, I've never been able to confirm or deny whether Gray Catbirds really do stop singing when their mates are sitting.  Also, colorful as he was, Red Barber could bring a backwater regional phrase into the national speech because baseball was the national sport and radio the medium where we followed it.  Growing up in that era, I still can't stand to watch baseball on TV.
Nathaniel WanderPortland, OR

“Butlower pay and higher rent’s another kind of violence, the violence of silenceand of greed.

“It’sthe violence of feeling your irrelevance revealing every way in which you neverwill be freed.”

“FreedomIs a Verb”  Daniel Kahn & thePainted Bird <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFu0o8NB5Io>

On Sunday, June 30, 2019, 10:06:53 PM PDT, <obol...> <obol...> wrote:

obol Digest    Sunday, June 30 2019    Volume: 08  Issue: 195

In This Issue:
    #1:    From: "Michelle & Kim Kathol" <kakathol...>
        Subject: [obol] Lark sparrows Redmond
    #2:    From: <brrobb...>
        Subject: [obol] Red-eyed Vireo, Lane County
    #3:    From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
        Subject: [obol] Coos Dux/Catbird 6/29-30/19
    #4:    From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
        Subject: [obol] June 30 eBird Oregon RBA
    #5:    From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan...>
        Subject: [obol] Birding trip to Lakeview area, June 25-29
    #6:    From: Diane Pettey <d.koastie69...>
        Subject: [obol] On topic chickadees, off topic, binoculars for sale
    #7:    From: Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...>
        Subject: [obol] No Birders Night July/August in Portland

Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Michelle & Kim Kathol" <kakathol...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 10:43:59 -0700

fledglings at the back sewer ponds.
A total of 11 birds present.
Kim Kathol
Tetherow Crossing
Redmond OR

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
From: <brrobb...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 11:00:21 -0700

This morning I found a singing RED-EYED VIREO at Finn Rock Reach, a McKenzie
River Trust property that straddles the McKenzie River for a couple miles
just downstream from Blue River.
Roger Robb

Springfield, OR

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 12:38:23 -0700

The Millicoma Marsh catbird was singing away again early AM. Day 19. I
haven’t seen a second bird but why would this bird still be around if there
wasn’t one? Lots of dense elderberry, willow and blackberry near where it
sings so a female on a nest could easily go unnoticed. I was out there at
1030 on Friday and there was no catbird to be found.
In Coquille on 6/22 I observed 6 A Wigeon and 3 GW Teal on a pond a 1/2
mile from town along Hwy 42S. There were 7 wigeon there yesterday (6 males,
1 female) and a lone male GW Teal. Not sure what the status on these birds
are but they are certainly rare this time of year in Coos with only a
single GW breeding record and nada wigeon-wise.

At N Spit Coos Bay this AM there were 8 Gadwall with broods- no other duck
sp. with young.

Yesterday (Saturday) AM was 38F in Eden Valley near Mt Bolivar in SE end of
county- no nighthawks at dawn as per normal- to cold! Could not find Rock
Wren this year on south side of Bolivar summit, we had found them there
about every other year the last decade.  All the usual specialty breeders
up there- Nashville Warblers, Townsend’s Solitaires, Dusky Flys, etc. Did
hear both Mt Quail and Sooty Grouse still calling- but only a few.
Audubon’s Warblers breeding in the open forest on Bolivar as usual. Many
peewees, OS Flys, Hermit Thrushes, and female/young Rufous/Allen’s Hummers.

Down toward Powers near SF Coquille chats are abundant, Willow Flys here
and there, oodles of Lazuli Buntings.

Of forgot I saw pair of Bullock’s Orioles in Sturdivant Park, Coquille
where they are likely breeding again.

Merry July all!
Tim R
Coos Bay

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 13:47:47 -0700

*** Species Summary:
Tundra Swan (1 Union)
Common Goldeneye (2 Tillamook)
Band-tailed Pigeon (1 Klamath)
Sandhill Crane (1 Multnomah)
Ring-billed Gull (2 Tillamook)
Red-naped Sapsucker (1 Deschutes)
Gray Flycatcher (1 Union)
Red-eyed Vireo (1 Columbia)
American Crow (1 Klamath)
Horned Lark (1 Lane)
Fox Sparrow (4 Union)
Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (3 Umatilla)

Tundra Swan (Cygnus columbianus) (1)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 17:38 by Rebecca Hartman
- Ladd Marsh WMA--Peach Rd., Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.2491806,-117.9520941&llE.2491806,-117.9520941
- Comments: "Continuing solitary bird."

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 28, 2019 12:16 by Cliff Cordy
- 5150 Hayes Oyster Drive, Bay City, Oregon, US (45.524, -123.897),
Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.5237402,-123.8969923&llE.5237402,-123.8969923
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird."

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (1)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 10:43 by Cliff Cordy
- Bay City Oyster Company, Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.5239689,-123.8946891&llE.5239689,-123.8946891
- Comments: "Continuing bird"

Band-tailed Pigeon (Patagioenas fasciata) (1)
- Reported Jun 30, 2019 06:30 by Phil Silas
- 12401–12899 Highway 140 E, Klamath Falls US-OR (42.1751,-121.6373),
Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qB.175117,-121.637295&llB.175117,-121.637295
- Comments: "Band tail well seen in bright morning light"

Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) (1)
- Reported Jun 30, 2019 10:21 by Brad Bogus
- Sauvie Island--Reeder Rd. Dike (Coon Pt.), Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.6916122,-122.8055191&llE.6916122,-122.8055191
- Comments: "Heard. Unmissable. "

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) (1)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 10:43 by Cliff Cordy
- Bay City Oyster Company, Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.5239689,-123.8946891&llE.5239689,-123.8946891
- Media: 1 Photo

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) (1)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 13:57 by Daniele Mitchell
- Bayocean Spit--bay (east) side, Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.5217439,-123.9484406&llE.5217439,-123.9484406
- Comments: "Adult on bay side of spot near parking area. Pale iris, pale
gray mantle, small yellow bill with ring.  Black wingtips.  Yellow legs."

Red-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis) (1)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 12:42 by Josh Snead
- Deschutes River Trail--Benham Falls, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qC.939274,-121.413247&llC.939274,-121.413247
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Seen well in flight and foraging on trees- white wing patches
and white markings on back, red on crown and throat with sharp black line
through eye. Apologies for incomplete digibins  photo."

Gray Flycatcher (Empidonax wrightii) (1)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 00:30 by Dave Trochlell
- Ramo Flat Road, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.1943012,-117.8654274&llE.1943012,-117.8654274
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing near Wigglesworth Spring. The bird made a
diagnostic "prit" call at least three times."

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (1)
- Reported Jun 30, 2019 08:15 by Philip Kline
- Warrior Point Trail, Columbia, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.8083469,-122.7980196&llE.8083469,-122.7980196
- Comments: "Regular location.  A little further down the left fork than in
years past."

American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) (2)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 10:14 by Julie Van Moorhem
- NF 34, Bly area, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qB.397405,-121.012761&llB.397405,-121.012761
- Comments: "Large black corvid, larger than Brewer’s Blackbird, smaller
than Raven. Calling. Usually found this location. One seen flying, second
calling from another location."

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 14:57 by Sally Hill
- 29001–29299 Awbrey Ln, Eugene US-OR (44.1279,-123.1984), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qD.127923,-123.198445&llD.127923,-123.198445
- Comments: "Heard it singing.  Located it sitting in recently mowed field
to the south of Awbrey Lane.  John Sullivan has reported a horned lark from
this location recently."

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 12:36 by Colby Neuman
- FR030, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.610058,-118.086271&llE.610058,-118.086271
- Comments: "Singing...heard only.  Not sure which county this is, but
observed a few miles away in the other (either Umatilla or Union where it’s
not flagged) county so definitely in the area."

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 16:08 by Colby Neuman
- FR3180, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.679714,-118.072632&llE.679714,-118.072632
- Comments: "Singing. Will add recording"

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 16:59 by Colby Neuman
- FR3180--Viewpoint--(45.6656,-118.0762), Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.66557,-118.076202&llE.66557,-118.076202
- Comments: "Different bird singing down the hill...heard only"

Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (Passerella iliaca [schistacea Group]) (4)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 08:17 by Arlene Blumton
- National Forest Development Road 330, Weston, Oregon, US (45.715,
-118.092), Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.7148795,-118.0918129&llE.7148795,-118.0918129
- Comments: "Expected subspecies in the Blue Mountains"

Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (Passerella iliaca [schistacea Group]) (4)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 08:17 by Steve Clements
- National Forest Development Road 330, Weston, Oregon, US (45.715,
-118.092), Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.7148795,-118.0918129&llE.7148795,-118.0918129
- Comments: "Expected subspecies in the Blue Mountains"

Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (Passerella iliaca [schistacea Group]) (4)
- Reported Jun 29, 2019 08:17 by Nolan Clements
- National Forest Development Road 330, Weston, Oregon, US (45.715,
-118.092), Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.7148795,-118.0918129&llE.7148795,-118.0918129
- Comments: "Expected subspecies in the Blue Mountains"

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1)
- Reported Jun 30, 2019 09:26 by Mark  Ludwick
- Wallowa - Whitman National Forest, La Grande US-OR (45.4983,-118.1081),
Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z&qE.498326,-118.108065&llE.498326,-118.108065
- Comments: "Not rare. Adjust filters "

***********

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 16:15:56 -0700

OBOL:
I just returned from leading a birding trip to the Lakeview area, June
25-29.  We had 15 participants.  Thanks to Jan Laird for organizing it.

June 25 travel to Lakeview:

Ruby Apsler and I heard a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH where Crescent Creek passes
under the Crescent Cutoff Rd.

June 26

In Lakeview we saw a CALIFORNIA SCRUB JAY.

We started a Goose Lake State Park.  We found multiple CLARK'S GREBES on the
lake, a confiding MARSH WREN on a fence, nesting RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS in
a weeping willow in the campground, and a pair of CEDAR WAXWINGS building a
nest.

At the Lakeview swimming pool park we found another nesting RED-BREASTED
SAPSUCKER in a weeping willow and a nesting BULLOCK'S ORIOLE.

Up Bullard Canyon we encountered lots of wind that hampered birding but we
found another pair of RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS gathering food for nestlings,
and many GREEN-TAILRED TOWHEES, a life bird for several people, and a
top-down view of a LAZULI BUNTING at a stream.

At the Lakeview sewage ponds we found some waterfowl and a SPOTTED
SANDPIPER.

June 27

We headed east on Hwy 140.  At 20.1 miles from Hwy 395 we walked in on a
loop of dirt road on the north side of the highway.  We found 2 JUNIPER
TITMICE busily gathering food and dashing back and forth.  It was impossible
to discern where they were depositing the food.  Another mile east we
visited White Rock Spring and found ASH-THROATED and GRAY FLYCATHERS,
CHIPPING and BREWER'S SPARROWS, more GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES.

At Adel we found milkshakes.

Heading north, we found AMERICAN BITTERN, CASPIAN and FORSTER'S TERNS and
many FRANKLIN'S GULLS on Crump Lake, LONG-BILLED CURLEWS south of Plush,
COMMON NIGHTHAWKS in Plush, CLARK'S GREBES on Hart Lake, BLACK-CROWNED
NIGH-HERONS at Warner Wetlands.

Up at Hart Mt NWR I told folks to be on the lookout for SAGE GROUSE, and
Larry Miller spotted one.

After dinner I visited the Lakeview sewage ponds and found 60 COMMON
NIGHTHAWKS and 6 WILSON'S PHALAROPES.

June 28

We began at Chandler Wayside north of Lakeview, where we found another
GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE, WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH nesting, PYGMY NUTHATCHES
nesting, HOUSE WREN.  At the fresh water pool just south of Lake Abert we
found an OSPREY.  On Lake Abert we found a modest number of EARED GREBES and
distant phalaropes, a LONG-BLLED CURLEW, hundreds of WILLETS, AMERICAN
AVOCETS,  and gulls.  At the cabin on the NW corner of the lake we found a
LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE family.

Back in Lakeview after supper some of us got a treat at the sewage ponds.
We found a tiny young SPOTTED SANDPIPER on the dike road.  Its parent called
anxiously and eventually the dad settled down in the vegetation and got the
little chick to come to him and crawl under him.

June 29

We headed north.  South of Paisley we found a pair of SANDHILL CRANES with
two COLTS out in a field.  Along the Chewaucan River at Paisley we found two
GREAT-HORNED OWLS and two HOODED MERGANSERS.

We stopped 6.4 miles south of Fort Rock to try for SAGEBRUSH SPARROW and
found one elusive bird, plus a show-of SAGE THRASHER and a HORNED LARK.  At
Fort Rock State Park we found WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS and a PRAIRIE FALCON.

At Cabin Lake we spent 2-3 PM and found a wealth of birds.

Red Crossbills - many birds, many colors

Cassin's Finches - many bright males, drab females

Mt Chickadees

Pygmy Nuthatches

W-b Nuthatches

White-headed Woodpecker - 1 at water

Lewis' Woodpecker - 1 brief stop atop a P. pine

Flicker

Pinyon Jay - several

Clark's Nutcracker - many

Green-tailed Towhee - bathing

Western Bluebird

We ended the trip with 123 species.

On our way home the first traveler came through a hail storm above Detroit.
Those of us who came later saw the temperature at 58 degrees up there and 78
in Salem.

Good birding everyone,

Paul Sullivan

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
From: Diane Pettey <d.koastie69...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 18:24:17 -0700

On topic, a family of Chestnut-backed Chickadees spent an hour in my
backyard. Bathing, eating sand? and generally entertaining me during my
yard work. At least four juveniles.
And for those of you familiar with it:  "Mike's Nest Box" has a family of
at least three Chestnut-backed Chickadeelets about to fledge. It's an
uplifting, joyfilled sight that Mike would have thoroughly enjoyed.
Off topic, I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD 8x42 binoculars for sale.
Serious inquiries only and please only email me, not OBOL list.

sincerely,
Diane Pettey
<d.koastie69...>

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
From: Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 19:25:26 -0700

…….. it’s summertime.  It’s Daylight Savings Time.  It’s gorgeous weather.  We are suspending Birders Night for July and August.

Next Birders Night is September 3rd, the first Tuesday of the month.  Portland Audubon House, 5151 NW Cornell Road, 7:00 pm.

Cheers!

<oschmidt...>
Sunday, June 30, 2019

End of obol Digest V8 #195