Date: 6/30/19 12:39 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos Dux/Catbird 6/29-30/19
The Millicoma Marsh catbird was singing away again early AM. Day 19. I
haven’t seen a second bird but why would this bird still be around if there
wasn’t one? Lots of dense elderberry, willow and blackberry near where it
sings so a female on a nest could easily go unnoticed. I was out there at
1030 on Friday and there was no catbird to be found.

In Coquille on 6/22 I observed 6 A Wigeon and 3 GW Teal on a pond a 1/2
mile from town along Hwy 42S. There were 7 wigeon there yesterday (6 males,
1 female) and a lone male GW Teal. Not sure what the status on these birds
are but they are certainly rare this time of year in Coos with only a
single GW breeding record and nada wigeon-wise.

At N Spit Coos Bay this AM there were 8 Gadwall with broods- no other duck
sp. with young.

Yesterday (Saturday) AM was 38F in Eden Valley near Mt Bolivar in SE end of
county- no nighthawks at dawn as per normal- to cold! Could not find Rock
Wren this year on south side of Bolivar summit, we had found them there
about every other year the last decade. All the usual specialty breeders
up there- Nashville Warblers, Townsend’s Solitaires, Dusky Flys, etc. Did
hear both Mt Quail and Sooty Grouse still calling- but only a few.
Audubon’s Warblers breeding in the open forest on Bolivar as usual. Many
peewees, OS Flys, Hermit Thrushes, and female/young Rufous/Allen’s Hummers.

Down toward Powers near SF Coquille chats are abundant, Willow Flys here
and there, oodles of Lazuli Buntings.

Of forgot I saw pair of Bullock’s Orioles in Sturdivant Park, Coquille
where they are likely breeding again.

Merry July all!
Tim R
Coos Bay