Date: 6/29/19 9:35 am
From: John Weeks via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Suffield WMA, 6/29: Grasshopper Sparrows, nesting confirmed
Successful attempt (finally!) to confirm nesting of Grasshopper Sparrows here for the Atlas. They’ve been here for at least 20 years. Thank goodness for Breeding Code “Carrying Food.” I don’t know how I would have ever located the nest itself — though I had a pretty good idea where the female was lurking — nor would I have wanted to disturb the birds that much.

Full eBird report is below.

John Weeks
North Granby

Suffield WMA (Atlas Block 7E), Hartford, Connecticut, US
Jun 29, 2019 8:21 AM - 9:49 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.1 mile(s)
Comments: Observers: Chris Chinni and John Weeks.
22 species

Mourning Dove 1
Chimney Swift 1
Northern Flicker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Eastern Kingbird 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Fish Crow 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1
Eastern Bluebird 1
American Robin 1
American Goldfinch 1
Grasshopper Sparrow 2 Two singing males. In addition to the one carrying food, a probable female was calling from a dense stand of weeds nearby. The male, clearly disturbed by our presence, flew from one song post to another, singing and keeping a watchful eye on us. Apparently to prevent us from discovering the nest site, he eventually decided to eat the fat green caterpillar he was carrying.
Field Sparrow 2
Savannah Sparrow 2 Two males counter-singing in proximity to each other.
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Meadowlark 1
Orchard Oriole 1 Adult male. Not the same male (which was a first-summer bird) seen here on 6/7/2019 near a nest occupied by his mate.
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Common Yellowthroat 3 Two males counter-sang, and one chased the other.
Prairie Warbler 2
Northern Cardinal 1
Indigo Bunting 4 Three singing males, one accompanied by his mate.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57784258