Date: 6/27/19 12:26 pm
From: Paul Evans <paulevansdo...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto Brown Park Scouting Report
We did a Salem Audubon Society scouting trip this morning at Minto Brown
Park in preparation for the SAS Birdwalk on July 4 at 7:00 am. Attendees
included Fred and Paul (Salem) and Kay and Mike (McMinnville). We met at
Parking Lot #4 at 0700 and walked a 3.5 mile loop to the North (Courtney
Bridge) and back along the the river past Parking Lot # 4 to the wooden
bridge over the slough, returning to the parking lot at about 1030. It
cool and rainy, with intermittent showers, slight breezes, and temperatures
from 53-56 degrees F. Birds were somewhat subdued in singing and flight.
The river level was still high and swallows were actively feeding on flies
at the surface. Very little flying birds were seen overhead. There were
very few waterfowl seen. Highlights were seeing 4 Red-breasted Sapsuckers,
a Black-throated gray warbler, and 5 species of swallows.

We saw or heard:

Wood Duck
Mallard
California Quail
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Osprey with 2 chicks on nest
Red tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Kildeer
-Spotted Sandpiper
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Vaux Swift
Anna's Hummingbird
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Western Wood-Peewee
Willow Flycatcher
-Warbling Vireo
Steller's jay
California Scrub Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
-Bushtit
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren
Swainson's Thrush
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Yellow Warbler
Black-throated Gray Warbler
-Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's Warbler
Spotted Towhee
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch

Total: 48 species.

Our next Bird Walk is on Thursday July 4 at 7:00 am; meet at Minto Brown
Parking Lot #4.

Respectfully submitted,

Paul

--