Date: 6/26/19 4:22 pm
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] June 26 eBird RBA
*** Species Summary:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo (2 Yamhill)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (1 Washington)
Red-shouldered Hawk (1 Lincoln)
Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/alascensis) (1 Malheur)
Burrowing Owl (Western) (1 Harney)
Red-naped Sapsucker (1 Deschutes)
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) (1 Klamath)
Least Flycatcher (3 Umatilla)
Cordilleran Flycatcher (2 Wallowa)
Eastern Kingbird (2 Crook)
Red Crossbill (Douglas-fir or type 4) (1 Multnomah)

Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus) (1)
- Reported Jun 26, 2019 08:44 by Don Berg
- Willamette Greenway--Grand Island Access, Yamhill, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.104299,-123.021792&ll=45.104299,-123.021792
- Comments: "About 50 yards in to the west of the second river access in a
very thick stand of cottonwoods I heard a very loud series of calls. First
I heard 2 to 3 loud raspy coo notes followed by two kwawps that are usually
associated with the slowing clucking song that I am familiar with from
southwestern Ontario. This was located in the same spot that a
yellow-billed cuckoo was seen the day before by Ed McVicker and Bob Lockett
crossing the channel."

Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus) (1)
- Reported Jun 25, 2019 08:50 by Bob Lockett
- Willamette Greenway--Grand Island Access, Yamhill, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.104299,-123.021792&ll=45.104299,-123.021792
- Comments: "Played tape once while standing at edge of river, just
prospecting in likely-looking habitat. A movement was noticed about 30' to
our right in Oregon Ash and Cottonwood trees, then a bird flew in front of
us before swerving away and crossing the river. We both exclaimed "Cuckoo!"
at the same time. The bird had approximately a robin-sized body but very
long tail and much longer wings than a robin. Flight was direct and strong.
Back, crown and nape, most of wings, and tail were uniform warm brown (no
streaking). I noticed strong rufous tints in primaries as the bird crossed
the river. No tail spots noted.
We lingered at the site for the next hour, occasionally playing tape and
hoping to record a response. The bird never vocalized.
Both observers are familiar with this species from Texas and/or Florida,
but this is the first sighting in Oregon for both of us."

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) (1)
- Reported Jun 25, 2019 15:04 by Angela Calabrese
- Oregon National Primate Research Center, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.523941,-122.876712&ll=45.523941,-122.876712
- Comments: "Being pursued by a Cooper's hawk. The bird was about half the
size of the Cooper's Hawk. I only saw them for a few seconds and they
disappeared from view before I was able to determine any other field marks."

Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus) (3)
- Reported Jun 26, 2019 09:25 by Phil Pickering
- S Gorton Rd., Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.920459,-123.998695&ll=44.920459,-123.998695
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Nesting pair both seen in the area, one carrying a snake in
the direction of the nest, and one fledgling seen on the nest and later
calling from adjacent trees. Nest is visible from the bridge, near the top
of a tall cone-filled spruce on the north bank of Drift Creek Rd. just east
of the jct."

Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/alascensis) (Buteo jamaicensis calurus/alascensis)
(1)
- Reported Jun 26, 2019 10:01 by Alex Lamoreaux
- (42.6851,-117.0658), Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.685134,-117.065849&ll=42.685134,-117.065849
- Comments: "Light adult "

Burrowing Owl (Western) (Athene cunicularia hypugaea/rostrata) (1)
- Reported Jun 25, 2019 20:56 by Alex Lamoreaux
- (43.1811,-118.3388), Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.181129,-118.338844&ll=43.181129,-118.338844
- Comments: "Flying along road "

Red-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 25, 2019 12:00 by Dona Bolt
- Calliope Crossing, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3507699,-121.5526056&ll=44.3507699,-121.5526056
- Comments: "Adult male with clean white and black stripes on face with a
tinge of yellow. Continuing"

Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) (Colaptes auratus [cafer Group]) (2)
- Reported Jun 26, 2019 09:37 by Michael Goethe
- Lake of the Woods--Great Meadow, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.3955,-122.1967&ll=42.3955,-122.1967
- Comments: "Twice saw Northern Flickers. Both times the bird flew and the
red beneath the wings was evident. This is also the local type of flicker
in this location."

Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 25, 2019 09:00 by Dave Trochlell
- Cayuse Road, Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6834997,-118.5120624&ll=45.6834997,-118.5120624
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. The bird was easy to locate because of its nearly
incessant "CHEbek" song."

Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 25, 2019 10:40 by Diana LaSarge and Aaron Skirvin
- Cayuse Road, MP 13, Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.684177,-118.4321709&ll=45.684177,-118.4321709
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Photos and audio (video). The bird was calling 'che-bet,
che-bet' almost continually for the 15 or more minutes we observed it as it
flitted about from limb to limb. 'Lifer' for me."

Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 25, 2019 10:40 by Nels Nelson
- Cayuse Road, MP 13, Umatilla, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.684177,-118.4321709&ll=45.684177,-118.4321709
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Photos and audio (video). The bird was calling 'che-bet,
che-bet' almost continually for the 15 or more minutes we observed it as it
flitted about from limb to limb. 'Lifer' for me."

Cordilleran Flycatcher (Empidonax occidentalis) (1)
- Reported Jun 25, 2019 11:04 by Mike Hansen
- Bear Gulch, Joseph, Oregon, US (45.489, -116.898), Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.4889516,-116.8980115&ll=45.4889516,-116.8980115
- Comments: "Empire with greenish back, dark yellow breast, belly, and
flanks. Had distinct eye-ring with white triangle behind eye. Range is
consistent with Cordilleran rather than Pacific Slope flycatcher. "

Cordilleran Flycatcher (Empidonax occidentalis) (1)
- Reported Jun 25, 2019 11:04 by Kim Zumwalt
- Bear Gulch, Joseph, Oregon, US (45.489, -116.898), Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.4889516,-116.8980115&ll=45.4889516,-116.8980115
- Comments: "Empire with greenish back, dark yellow breast, belly, and
flanks. Had distinct eye-ring with white triangle behind eye. Range is
consistent with Cordilleran rather than Pacific Slope flycatcher. "

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 26, 2019 09:07 by Milton Vine
- North Shore Rd., Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.1754539,-120.6330264&ll=44.1754539,-120.6330264
- Comments: "Black and white Kingbird with a white tipped tail"

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 26, 2019 09:07 by Diane Burgess
- North Shore Rd., Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.1754539,-120.6330264&ll=44.1754539,-120.6330264
- Comments: "Black and white Kingbird with a white tipped tail"

Red Crossbill (Douglas-fir or type 4) (Loxia curvirostra (type 4)) (2)
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 08:04 by Nick Mrvelj
- Larch Mountain, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5295611,-122.088232&ll=45.5295611,-122.088232
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "The loudest calls in the flock were Type 4 - Douglas Fir based
on the shape of their call note on the spectrograph."

Join us on Facebook!