Date: 6/26/19 3:17 pm
From: Beverly Propen via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] CACC
6/26 Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, 9:45am-1PM- mid tide
rising, 70-87F, sunny.
Wow- the center was busy with visitors today. Nice to chat with so many
people interested in our wildlife.
The Purple Martin colony is bustling...I counted about 13 PMs flying in and
out, with 2 little heads poking out from the gourds.

On the marsh-a huge dead tree washed up in the middle of the marsh. The
birds love it! 2 D.C. Cormorants, 1 osprey and a few gulls perched on it.
Our ospreys are tending to the 3 chicks. The male & female take turns on
the nest and chicks. From 10:45-10:50, both ospreys were off the nest, so
we had nice views of the 3 chicks, but it was sunny & hot out there. The
female returned at 10:50 and was on the nest, wings spread out to shade the
chicks.
On the marsh: 6 Great Egrets, 4 Snowy Egrets, 11 Mute Swans, the 2 D.C.
Cormorants, 1 additional osprey, 2 Tree swallows flew over.
On the grounds: 2 Song sparrows, 1 Female Orchard Oriole (heard another one
singing), about 12 Common Grackles including 2 juveniles, begging. It was
interesting-there are the tent caterpillar nests around the property and
the Grackles were poking their heads into the tents and gobbling down those
caterpillars.
House sparrows, 4 Robins, singing House wren, Mockingbird, 2 Cardinals and
3 Mourning Doves with one on a nest.
Bev Propen, Orange