Date: 6/26/19 7:03 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Millicoma Mayhem 6/26/2019
Catbird still at Millicoma Marsh on the east side of Coos Bay this AM.
The AZ Beach SP catbird in Curry was still there yesterday singing away in
open as usual. Joni Dawning has a friend who saw the Curry catbird with a
grub fly off with it over to the island at the pond there. Sounds like
nesting behavior? The Millicoma bird has been there over two weeks too,
I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

This morning on my Millicoma walk I came upon a dead nutria in the trail
the size of my dog! A little ways further there was another dead nutria.
I began wondering what the heck was going on? Neither nutria had been
eaten, the second one looked like it had been mauled? I continued on
toward the catbird spot- I could hear it singing a ways off when suddenly I
heard ferocious growling from below in the salt marsh (tide was out). I
looked for a couple minutes and finally saw three running figures, a nutria
being chased by two racoons. The racoons were growling like crazy, they
chased it into a little slough and then I heard them probably kill it-
there was howling screams from the slough, it sounded vicious. I never
have seen anything like it. Shortly thereafter the sky turned blood red
for sunrise- to the southwest a dark shower approached and there was a huge
rainbow- crazy morning!

Merry summertime,
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay