Date: 6/25/19 4:14 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Shorts: Keizer Rapids Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS Shorts: Keizer Rapids Park Bird Walk Report*

*June 25, 2019*

I led a bird walk at Keizer Rapids Park on Tuesday morning. I was joined
by 15 other birdwatchers including a family with two young birders. We
walked a total of 1.25 miles along the eastern trail then the trail to the
west. The group was met with a nice morning that started cloudy and a bit
windy but soon became partly sunny and very comfortable. The temperature
was 62 degrees at the start and 64 degrees at the end of the bird walk.
The bird activity was good overall with a total of 30 species identified
(seen and/or heard).

The highlights were as follows:

- We saw a *Hutton’s Vireo* in a tree on one of the trails to the
west of the parking lot. The bird gave several of us real good looks at it;

- Another highlight was seeing an active *Western Wood-Pewee* nest.
The nest was in a likely place *i.e.*, the fork of a horizontal branch away
from the trunk of the tree;

- The river was extremely busy as we saw an *Osprey*, *Great
Egret*, *Bald
Eagle*, several *Great Blue Herons* as well as *Cedar Waxwings *and
swallows catching insects along the river;

- We saw a *Yellow Warbler *and heard another one*. *We also heard a*
Wilson’s Warbler singing*;

- A couple other sightings included a *Rufous Hummingbird* and *Brown
Creeper*;

- As usual there were a lot of *White-crowned Sparrows *with many of
them singing.

The next field trip is the *Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk* on *Thursday,
July 4th at 7:00 a.m.* Meet at Parking Lot #3. The Ankeny NWR field
trip is scheduled for *Saturday, July 20th at 7:00 AM.* Meet at the
Pintail Marsh parking lot off Wintel Rd. The next *SAS Shorts* is at
Minto-Brown Island Park on *Wednesday, July 24th at 7:30 PM.* Meet at
Parking Lot #3. Please join us if you can.

*Note:* Next month we will be including a new sign-up link for our Saturday
birding workshops.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Keizer Rapids Park Checklist Summary for June 25, 2019*

*Identified Species: 30*

*Checklists included in this summary: 1*

*Checklist (*see link to checklist below*):*
Keizer Rapids Park on Jun 25, 2019 @ 8:54 AM

2 Anna's Hummingbird
1 Rufous Hummingbird
3 Great Blue Heron