Date: 6/25/19 4:14 pm
From: Jerry Tangren <kloshewoods...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Comments on Western YB Cuckoo delisting proposal -- request to eBird reviewers
For a long time I did not use eBird because I felt it was only an aid to birders in maintaining their lists. However, in many cases I have used it as I travel to areas unfamiliar to me. Consequently, I have felt it my duty to likewise submit my lists.

Equally, the science behind eBird is not that bad. However, in many regards it is too coarse-grained for the purposes for which some people try to use it. I believe the yellow-billed cuckoo case is just that. eBird data is not suitable for describing habitat use by cuckoos no matter how well the data are reviewed. It’s the nature of the data.

We just returned from the upper mid-west where habitat mosaics are in many places too fine-grained to allow ready use of the data. We were only able to locate some birds because the submitters described in the comments exactly where the birds were located, “two males in the parking lot at the turn-around.” However, I can see how this data would have little use in describing specific habitat requirements.

As for citizen science, the nature of the data needs to be taken into account, and we should not make claims about it that are not true. It will lead to misuse, as in the case of the cuckoos.

—Jerry Tangren

* From : Robert Lockett <robert.s.lockett@xxxxxxxxx>
* Date : Tue, 25 Jun 2019 10:39:26 -0700

Ed McVicker and I just saw (at 10:02 am) a Yellow-billed Cuckoo at the greenway
at Grand Isle, Yamhill County. It didn’t call despite playback. The Greenway is
accessed from SE Upper Island Road.

Bob Lockett