Date: 6/24/19 10:12 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: 2019 AOS Supplement
And if now we have Mountain-gems, I want my Siberian Tit back. That's one
that should never have been changed in the first place.
And what's more I want Chestnut-backed Tits, and Black-capped Tits and all
other kinds of Tits too. Now that would be tit for tat.
Bob OBrien Carver OR
The AOS isn't anything if not inconsistent. It doesn't even have a
consistent name.

------------------------------

Blue-throated Hummingbird ➛ *Blue-throated Mountain-gem*

Amethyst-throated Hummingbird ➛ *Amethyst-throated Mountain-gem*

Blue-throated Mountain-gem by Bettina Arrigoni

The English name of *Lampornis clemenciae* has changed from Blue-throated
Hummingbird to *Blue-throated Mountain-gem*. The same goes for *Lampornis
amethystinus, *which is now *Amethyst-throated Mountain-gem. *Why? There
are at least five (depending on whom you ask) other species of *Lampornis* in
Middle America, and they are all called “Somethingorother Mountain-gem”.
This wise move standardizes the English names of all the species in the
genus. I hope the committee follows this promising trend and gives us
Lucifer Sheartail and Bahama Sheartail next!

Join us on Facebook!