Date: 6/24/19 5:41 pm
From: David Jury via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Wren boxes and House Sparrows
I can only speak from my own limited experience, but a box with a 1 and
1/8th inch entrance hole seems to be successful at accommodating house
wrens or chickadees (though no other species) while excluding house
sparrows. Knowing that house sparrows are common in our area and would be a
potential problem, I purposely chose a box with a 1 and 1/8th inch hole
after reading that 1 1/4 is the smallest size house sparrows can fit into.
This is our third year of having that box in our back yard, and so far so
good: the first year we had two successful broods of house wrens, last year
we had a successful brood of chickadees, and this year we have house wrens
again. Each year, house sparrows have spent much of the spring trying to
claim the box, but have never been able to get inside. Eventually they
realize that they can't fit, and give up and move on (though they can be
rather slow and stubborn to admit it).

David Jury
Ellington