Date: 6/24/19 12:56 pm
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: 2019 AOS Supplement
Thank God the AOS kept apostrophes. Try saying aloud "Hutton Vireo", Bewick
Wren, Townsend Warbler...There is a glottal stop between each word. It
sounds like the speaker is stumbling. We are not proposing names for a
German list. English does not require glottal stops between every word."
Hutton's "and "Vireo" are glued together by a sibilant consonant that is
also lubricant.
I know we say Roosevelt Elk, no apostrophe s there. But l note that
B.J.Verts in "Land Mammals of Oregon" has an entry for Townsend's Vole,
apostrophe and all. I know that it is now "Down" syndrome, because the
syndrome's describer didn't have the condition himself. But l think
"Crohn's disease " was suffered by its epynom and thus rates a wave of the
pinky. But ornithology is not mammology. Ornithology is not pathology. It
is a big space in the English language and is free to craft it's own
conventions. There are no rules in English. The Oxford English Dictionary
observes the beast in its natural habitat to set precedent. We have been
calling our snipe "Wilson's" for two hundred years. I imagine other birds
had that little pinky waving in the air to honor other dead white men long
before that. So precedent is set thousands of times over.
Wilson Snipe. Who can deny that the speaker starts to trip between
descriptor and noun in that pairing? Wilson's Snipe. There's a nice ramp
from street level up to the sidewalk. Try going through Sibley, saying
every name with an apostrophe without its "s". Add those glottal stops up
over the coming decades and the lost time is staggering, not to mention
collateral damage to listeners. I believe "Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow"
became "Nelson's Sparrow" because even the AOS had to admit the former was
too long and clunky. There is hope for the æsthetics of the AOS. When they
take away the apostrophes to conform with the protocols of the pathologist
the next step will be ordering arcane robes and donning funny caps before
deliberating in a professional capacity.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 12:04 PM Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Thanks for the heads-up. The link in the first paragraph unfortunately
> brings up last year's supplement. The summary in your link, prepared for
> Birding magazine does not discuss several of the proposals under
> consideration, so I imagine they were not accepted. I did not expect
> Harlan's Hawk to be split off, but I was hopeful about the proposal for
> apostrophe-free names. The NACC committee members' comments should be
> posted before long (anonymous, likely) on the AOS website and so we can get
> some insight into their thinking.
>
> Wayne
>
> On 6/24/2019 10:25:21 AM, Bob Archer <rabican1...> wrote:
> Hi:
>

> http://blog.aba.org/2019/06/aos2019.html?fbclid=IwAR2DzE_aUbePMHuFOnBBAU_rbGMJUJ2bLENy63rter3J1DHiAc0vnQ0_Abs
>

> Northern Fulmar is still one species. AOS agrees that there are three
> White-winged Scoter species, look for Stejneger's now as a species not a
> subspecies. Bummer that they left 's at the end of bird names. Harlan's
> (Harlan) Hawk is still a Red-tailed.
>
> Bob Archer
> PDX

Join us on Facebook!