Date: 6/24/19 12:28 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: Mountain Quail
Dave Budeau noticed this morning's commentary from Lars Norgren on Mountain Quail research, and asked me to forward some comments on ODFW's role in research on this species:

On Mon, 2019-06-24 at 10:33 -0700, Dave Budeau wrote:

... I believe an argument can be made that over the 20 years (1997-2017] ODFW invested more in the conservation, and understanding of mountain quail ecology, than any other entity within the range of the bird.

This effort began in earnest in 1997 with significant ODFW financial support of Dr. Michael Pope’s work, which resulted in many peer-reviewed scientific publications, and continued with an active ODFW trap and translocation effort from 2001 - 2017 which supported grad students in OR, WA, and ID.

For those with a genuine interest in mountain quail, a simple search in Google Scholar with the words “Oregon mountain quail” will locate several of these studies.

Regarding the simultaneous multi-clutches, in Oregon almost half the mountain quail nests were incubated by males, males generally incubated larger clutches, and the males hatched slightly more chicks (see a summary at:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/486b/2cdec8a690c148659e848cf1f333c05a334f.pdf

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!