Date: 6/23/19 1:29 pm
From: <t4c1x...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Hybrid Rufous Hummers
I'm not qualified to speak on hybrid Selasphorus hummers, since my birding on the south coast has been extremely limited. In fact,I can make no claim to ever having seen an Allen's, pure or otherwise. But for years I have wondered about the difference between Rufous and Allen's, primarily because the field guide descriptions of dive displays do not seem to match with what I have observed at Thornton Creek in LIncoln County. We are well north of the known range of Allen's, yet I consistently see male Rufous doing a shuttle display prior to their dive. Supposedly this trait is typical for Allen's. I have no reason to think these bird are anything other than Rufous..Maybe I am simply misunderstanding the information in the field guides or misinterpreting the display, .The shuttle display seems to be given most frequently by the males when they are right in front of a perched female. I wonder if this behavior by Rufous males has been noted by other observers further north.

Darrel