Date: 6/23/19 10:36 am
From: Thomas Berriman <blackpoll...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] NEK Birds
Checked on a Cape May which is still singing this morning on Stone Dam Road
at Conte NWR. I first heard this bird on June 1st at same location and have
checked on him weekly.

At Moose Bog yesterday I found a Green Heron perched on top of fir tree at
the viewing platform this is only the 2nd time I have found this species in
Essex County in almost 18 years. (I did notice earlier in the week Bruce
Bolnick found one in Lunenburg along the CT. River also. )

Minutes before a Red Shouldered Hawk was perched in the large dead pine
across the pond, also uncommon. Sometimes we forget how common birds from
other parts of the state are uncommon just 50-75 miles away. For instance,
I've birded Essex County almost every other day of 2019 and still haven't
seen a Northern Harrier. Carolina Wren, Baltimore Oriole, Eastern
Meadowlark, Green Heron, Eastern Towhee, Northern Mockingbird, Great Egret
are seen and confirmed almost about as often as American Three toed
Woodpeckers are in Essex County so if you think you hear one of these try to
get a visual of it.

https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S57621671

https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S57593485

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.

Tom Berriman

802-626-9071

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackpoll1/>