Date: 6/23/19 10:23 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Hybrid Rufous Hummers
On the subject of hybrid Rufous Hummers, I've been watching feeder hummers
here for 45 years + and in that time have seen huge increases in numbers
but only 2 standout, 'unusual' ones.

About 20 years ago i had a bright male Rufous with a green
back............ A subadult?
About 15 years ago I had an 'obvious' hybrid Rufous/Anna's male. Mostly
like a Rufous but with a bright red forehead and intermediate in size.
This is a 'known' hybrid, originally illustrated and named as Florescii's
Hummingbird by the famous British ornithologist/artist/publisher John Gould
in 1861.

Rather dated for some young 'uns of course (1961) but certainly not by my
standards.
https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/condor/v063n01/p0003-p0028.pdf

Hummers usually stick around feeders awhile, but in both instances they
were one observation wonders so no photos were obtained. Darn.

Bob OBrien
Carver (SE of Portland) OR

Join us on Facebook!