Date: 6/22/19 5:53 pm
From: Mike Horn via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] 3 State St Hamden Eagle Chicks Ready to Fly
Hi All. The 3 State Street Hamden Eagle Chicks look in Robust Good Health
and are getting ready to Fly. I continue to estimate around the 1st to the
4th of July for the fledging date. I was there tonight (Sat 6/22/19) for
about 2 hours ending around 8:15 PM. When I arrived, 2 chicks were on the
big North nest branch, the third was on the rim of the nest on the South
side. All were flapping at one time or another - note: always one at a time.
About 6:45 PM, Daddy bird showed up with a half-eaten fish which the kids
made short work of. About 7:35 PM, Mom showed up with a shad that had to be
15" long and still alive. She dropped it in the nest and flew off. The kids
ate it with good nest table manners. After everyone had their fill, there
appeared to be some left. It is my opinion that these are some of the best
parents in the State of CT. They check all the boxes: Good Nest Location,
Good Nest Construction, Good Providers, Good Defenders, Good Nurtures etc.
etc. This is apparently why they are so successful. Come down and visit. The
new nest is very easy to see from the Proto Tire parking lot. I'm there from
6 to 8 PM weekends (In good weather) and, occasionally, on week nights too.
Regards, Mike Horn, Hamden, CT