Date: 6/22/19 10:45 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos Migrants and Migrants? 6/22/19
There is a pond on Hwy 42S about a 1/2 mile from Coquille that I checked
out on my way back to Coos Bay this AM. On it there were two GREATER
YELLOWLEGS which I assume are early southbound migrants. Also on the pond
were six American Wigeon (five males and a female) and three GW Teals (one
male, two females). Not sure what to think on their status? We have had
nonbreeding A. Wigeon oversummer before but never six birds. The earliest
southbound arrivals I know of are in early July and latest "spring" date is
28 June but that was just a single bird. No breeding records. The earliest
arrival for GW Teal is 1 July and the latest date is 20 June so these birds
could be either or possibly nonbreeders? One breeding record for
Green-wings. If these dux are southbound birds (failed breeders or
whatever) they are really early or northbound birds- really late!?!

Merry Summertime,
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!