Date: 6/22/19 8:21 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos Grasshopper Sparrow Adios
If you drive the Hwy from Myrtle Point to Powers you follow the valley of
the South Fork of the Coquille River. This valley is loaded with ranchlands
and there are many ag fields with livestock and other fields used for
growing hay.

In Wednesday I happened to hear a Grasshopper Sparrow in one of the few
fields that hadn’t be cut already for hay or that was being grazed by
livestock. This bird species was definitely not on my radar. On Thursday I
decided to verify it and easily taped the bird in. Russ Namitz got to hear
it later that day. On Friday I only stopped and listened for a minute but
didn't hear it. When I got to the field at 0700 this morning they had cut
about a quarter of it and would probably have it completely cut in a few
hours. Guess I was lucky to hear the bird when I did- this valley wouldn’t
be a particularly good spot for this species to breed because of the
livestock and haying.

In the Willamette Valley where this species breeds it must be in areas
where the grass is not cut for hay- right?

On a more positive note the singing catbird at Millicoma brightened my day
pre-sunup. I wonder if it will find a mate? I watched it sing out in the
open for a few minutes. It then flew into some dense elderberry next to me,
meowed a few times, then flew back to the willow and continued singing- fun
stuff!

Merry summertime,
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay