Date: 6/20/19 9:03 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Coos Grasshopper Sparrow 6/20/19
Driving somewhere near 40 mph myself and hearing out my open window the
thin and seemingly imperceptible, yet perceptible insect-like song of
Grasshopper Sparrow was how I too first located the species in Sherman
County years ago. Something physics of that song allows it to be heard over
a distance and even through white noise, counter-intuitive as that would
seem.

David in Seaside

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 17:51 Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> wrote:

> Not sure if I will be out again soon but will take a photo whenever. Was a
> real cool surprise- I heard it to while driving 40 with my windows open-
> what are the odds it would sing right as I drove by!
>
> Tim
>
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 3:52 PM David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
> wrote:
>
>> I am curious about the habitat Tim. Any chance you could snap a few
>> landscape photos next time you run by the GRSP spot? Great find! I will be
>> listening for them up in Clatsop.
>>
>> David
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 12:04 Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> wrote:
>>
>>> Same location as yesterday along Powers Hwy about 3 miles before Powers-
>>> I had great looks at it this AM to confirm ID. My second new county bird
>>> this spring!
>>>
>>> Catbird still singing at Millicoma Marsh before sunrise this AM.
>>>
>>> Happy birding all!
>>> Tim R
>>> Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!