Date: 6/19/19 9:47 pm
From: Roger Freeman <freemanbecard...>
Subject: [obol] Re: House Wren are vicious predators
Unfortunately this is true of House Wrens. Not hard to find references to
this on the internet with a quick search. I did not have a HOWR for
decades until a couple years ago, and although I enjoy their lovely singing
and activity, I am also observing similar behavior. I suspect an active
Black-capped Chickadee box I had was recently shut down by a territorial
HOWR male. Not sure how much to tolerate.

Roger

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 9:30 PM Maeve and Dick <maeveanddick...> wrote:

> We have 41 nesting boxes on our 10 acres about 5 miles south of
> Eugene. I have been managing bird houses for close to 40 years, 24 years
> at our current location. Our target species is Western Blue Birds but we
> do not have the best habitat for them so we get lots of Violet-green
> Swallows, Tree Swallows, Black-capped Chickadees, Chestnut-backed
> Chickadees and of course House Wrens. House Wrens do not play well with
> others! Every year we have nests that have been destroyed by House Wrens.
> They break eggs, kill chicks, sometimes kill adults, throw eggs and chicks
> out of the nest and rip the nest apart and throw the materials out the
> hole! They also fill houses with sticks so other birds cannot use them.
> We have been having about 20 to 25% of our nests destroyed or houses filled
> with sticks by House Wrens over the past 15 to 20 years.
>

> We checked our houses today and we have had nine houses where the
> eggs and chicks were killed by House Wrens and another nine filled with
> sticks. That is a total of 44%, much higher than any previous year!! This
> is discouraging to us and upsets us to see so many eggs and chicks killed.
> If anyone has a thought as to why the seemingly sudden increase in the
> number of House Wrens, let me know. We are researching for bird house
> modifications that seem to discourage House Wrens but still allows other
> small birds to use the box.
>

> Dick Lamster

Join us on Facebook!