Date: 6/19/19 5:15 pm
From: <adamus7...>
Subject: [obol] northeastern Oregon road trip, June
OBOL birders,

A solo excursion through northeastern Oregon, June 3-10, yielded no major rarities but a rich variety of species. And emerging from my tent each morning to a chorus of birds that differed from that of each previous day's is an experience whose beauty I'll never tire of. To make my observations more useful to other birders, during the 8 days I e-Birded 150 lists -- mostly point counts and short walks with specific coordinates given rather than hotspot names. Because not everyone on OBOL checks eBird all the time especially for distant places, here are some highlights:

Baker County: Phillips Reservoir aka Lake: scores of White Pelicans, Virginia Rail at the southwestern shore campground, an American Dipper at the outlet picnic area. At North Powder Pond 1: Sora, Eastern Kingbird.
Union County: At Rhinehart Canyon, the expected Veery, Gray Catbird, others.
Wallowa County: Northern Goshawk near McCully trailhead to Eagle Cap Wilderness, Bank Swallow colony about one block from the Safeway in Enterprise, Veery and Gray Catbird at Minam State Recreation Area.
Gilliam County: Entering the east side of Willow Creek Wildlife Area via the dirt road network south of exit 151 of I-84, I found Black-necked Stilt (2), Western Grebe, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow-headed Blackbird. At their wildlife-friendly ranch in Olex, some birder friends showed the Western Screech-owl and Barn Owl that reside year-round in their yard. Further south in the county, the Condon Waste Treatment Plant hosted Wilson's Phalarope (2), Gray Flycatcher was present at multiple spots near Lone Rock, and Lost Valley Road (as is well known) had a few forest species including Pygmy Nuthatch.
Sherman County: At one spot on the frontage road from Rufus to Biggs, White-throated Swifts were barely visible entering crevices on the high cliffs. A Western Grebe was in a slough between the road and the railroad tracks. A Blue-winged Teal was at the Wasco Waste Treatment Plant. Less than a mile east of the town of Moro, a Loggerhead Shrike perched high in a tree facing into a strong wind. At a pond only barely visible from Twin Lakes Road west of Grass Valley, there was Ruddy Duck, Cinnamon Teal, and Yellow-headed Blackbird.
Long hikes at Cottonwood Canyon State Park yielded few observations due to high winds those times.

Paul Adamus
Corvallis

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>