Date: 6/19/19 2:52 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
We had a good morning on the Iris Ridge Trail. We parked at the Bailey Hill entry and climbed about 1.5 miles through the lovely oaks and madrone woodlands and scattered open areas. The prevalence of House Wrens was a surprise, as I have never before encountered so many, locally, on one outing.
46 species.

California Quail 1
Eurasian Collared Dove 1
Mourning Dove 3
Vaux’s Swift 1
Anna’s Hummingbird 3
Turkey Vulture 10
Bald Eagle 1 soaring
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 soaring
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Acorn Woodpecker 2
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 4
Western Wood-Pewee many; one attended nest
Cassin’s Vireo 1
California Scrub-Jay 2
American Crow few
Common Raven 1
Tree Swallow 6 individuals and a tended nest box
Violet-green Swallow few
Barn Swallow 2 were viewed from the coffee house
Black-capped Chickadee 2 or 3 families
Chestnut-backed Chickadee heard
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
House Wren 12 + and nesting.
Bewick’s Wren 1
Western Bluebird 2 attended boxes, one with young at hole
American Robin expected breeding density in habitat.
European Starling small groups
Cedar Waxwing few seen, but more out of sight.
House Finch 6
Purple Finch one heard
Lesser Goldfinch 2 small groups and a few individuals
American Goldfinch 3
Spotted Towhee Always present
Song Sparrow usually around
White-crowned Sparrow 2
Dark-eyed Junco 1
Bullock’s Oriole 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 6
Orange-crowned Warbler 7
Common Yellowthroat 5
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1 male
Black-throated Gray Warbler 1
Western Tanager 1
Black-headed Grosbeak 3
Lazuli Bunting 6

Dennis Arendt, Randy Sinnott, Judy Franzen, Tom Cable, Sylvia Maulding, Pamela Carpenter, Nancy Clogston, Rachael Frieze, Gerry Meenaghan, Rosie Hammond, and Larry McQueen (apologies if I overlooked an observer)

Join us on Facebook!