Date: 6/18/19 7:06 pm
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Adel birding
Yes, it appears that I was adding pinpoints to Google Earth to create the map that I posted, while others were typing, so I missed the other postings. Wink's location does seem to the same as the farthest-west point along Hwy 140, on my map.

The other two points are in an interesting, jumbled landslide terrain which is also a fun place to watch Black-throated Gray Warblers in their alternate juniper-woodland nesting habitat. On this map I've also added a white line to show the easiest hiking route. Also the "infamous" seep spot just off the highway, which has been plugged by others on OBOL in the past -- but in my mind, this is a hard place to look for them.

The bottom-line message is that Juniper Titmouse isn't a hard species to find, if you're willing to spend half an hour or so strolling around in suitable habitat. You should also find Blue-gray Gnatcatchers too. Don Albright and Roy Gerig could no doubt suggest some other sites if you hike south along the Coleman Rim east of Adel.

I suggest keeping an open mind on "Scrub-Jays" outside of Adel. Certainly if you look at the birds stealing dog food around ranchsteads along the road south of Adel, they'll all be californica types (California Scrub-Jay, under the current nomenclature). When you start hiking the dry canyons, you might see birds that make you wonder. At this point we have very limited data. I can pretty well guess which 5 or 6 Oregon birders are going to respond on inquiries about birds in this region, and I've named 4 of them already.

And just since I know Lars is reading this, I figure I'll let loose with another riff: Why are we still calling them "Scrub-Jays"? "Scrub" refers to a habitat type in Florida. But Florida Scrub-Jays were split off years ago (maybe they should be called Florida-scrub Jays). California Jays, Woodhouse's Jays, and Channel-island Jays would be perfectly good names for the rest.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

High quality satelite photos come with the eBird reports, available on any
smartphone l would guess. Uplands of the Warner Mountains have awesome cell
phone coverage, maybe not the canyon bottoms. Various apps can be
downloaded to a smartphone that give great GPS, which is indepedant of
cellphone coverage. The three pins along Hwy 140 in Joel's image correspond
to the two spots already mentioned(double pins at Oscar's Spot). California
Quail are NATIVE here, introduced everywhere else in eastern Oregon and
Western Oregon outside the Rogue Valley.
Heading south from Adel Scrubjays get ridiculously abundant. None
of them are Woodhouse's. Save your vital forces for the Gnatcatchers.

Join us on Facebook!