Date: 6/17/19 1:42 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Lazuli Bunting and a very small buteo...
Today while doing inventories above Circle Creek at Boneyard Ridge near
Seaside, I flushed a very small buteo. I relocated it for a short look
before it flushed again. I noted a bright supercillium, yellowish iris,
brown tail with narrow browner barring. I only saw it going away in
flight, back and wings uniformaly brown. No pale on the primaries.

I am certain it was not an accipiter and details of the tail and wings
are inconsistent with Red-shouldered hawk. It matches well with online
photos of juvenile Broad-winged Hawk, but I did not get enough detail
(or a photo) to eliminate a very runty Red-tail.

In other news, a LAZULI BUNTING was singing on the "Legacy Trail" just
north of the building at Circle Creek Conservation Center.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!