Date: 6/17/19 11:34 am
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Bird song id apps question
There is one feature in Song Sleuth that I’ve found very useful, and which Pieplow pointed out. That feature is a 2-second delayed recording ability, and it is absent from all other apps, to the best of my knowledge. It’s also the reason why, he said, he recently switched to Song Sleuth after using SpectrumView for a long time.

Song Sleuth continuously buffers the last two seconds of sound recording, and when you actually hit the “record” button, that’s where it starts to record. That makes life much easier when you’re standing there waiting for a bird to start singing - once you hear the start of the song, just hit record. As opposed to the other apps, where you either wind up missing the start of the song, or you wind up recording for long periods of silence until the what you’re waiting for actually starts.

As to ID accuracy - it’s very poor. I think the only song S-S managed to ID correctly for me so far is a Song Sparrow's song. Actually, it can be amusing to see what it comes up with - e.g., it came up with Bald Eagle for  a recording of a Willow Flycatcher, which gave Taghrid and me a good laugh.

Nagi
On Jun 17, 2019, 11:03 -0700, Steve Jaggers <sjjag...>, wrote:
> I have neglected to follow any threads on this topic but now am interested and have questions.
> I see at least three apps out there, Sibley's Song Sleuth, Bird Genie and Chirpomatic, I imagine there are others.
> Any of you have opinions as to the quality and effectiveness of any of these?
> Thanks in advance.
> Steve Jaggers

Join us on Facebook!