Date: 6/12/19 2:07 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
Walked about a half mile of the Ridge Trail from parking lot opposite the Raptor Center, on Fox Hollow Rd., into the fir forest in search of Hermit Warblers (listed below). We were surprised to find a family of Cassin’s Vireos high in the firs, as we were attracted by the food-begging calls of the young. We then drove southward on the Christianson Brother’s Ranch road, one that begins from the parking lot mentioned. On this road we encountered a Pygmy Owl at our first stop, followed by the obligate mob of song birds, while a second owl was calling. It was a lovely morning, and I hope the absence of swifts and low numbers of swallows and pewees will not be a trend.

California Quail 1
Band-tailed Pigeon 1
Mourning Dove 1
Turkey Vulture 6
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Northern Pygmy Owl 2
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1 heard
Western Wood-Pewee 2
Cassin’s Vireo a new family high overhead in firs.
Steller’s Jay 1
Violet-green Swallow 2
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 3
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
Brown Creeper 2
House Wren 1
Pacific Wren 7
Swainson’s Thrush 3 singing
American Robin common; one nest with young
European Starling few
Cedar Waxwing 2
Purple Finch 4
American Goldfinch 1
Spotted Towhee 6
Song Sparrow 5
White-crowned Sparrow 1 distant song
Dark-eyed Junco 4 individuals
Brown-headed Cowbird 4
Orange-crowned Warbler 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1 male Audubon’s
Hermit Warbler 2 seen several more heard
Wilson’s Warbler 2
Western Tanager 5
Black-headed Grosbeak 6, one male on a nest

Dennis Arendt, Scott McNeeley, Cindy Armstrong, Tom Cable, Sylvia Maulding, Kit Larsen, Nancy Clogston, and Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!