Date: 6/12/19 1:53 pm
From: Eric DeFonso <bay.wren...>
Subject: [cobirds] Grace's Warbler (and another curiosity), Spanish Peaks SWA (Las Animas County)
Hi folks,

At the end of my very birdy survey this morning, I encountered a singing
Grace's Warbler at the parking area of the Spanish Peaks SWA "Beebe"
trailhead, which is about 16 miles up various county roads from the CO 12
turnoff, and about 22 miles total NW from Trinidad. It was singing
consistently, and although moving around quite a bit, it never strayed far
from the perimeter of ponderosa pines encircling the vale where the parking
area was. I imagine not many readers here will make the effort to chase
down this bird due to its remoteness, but I put it out there for anyone
looking to add GRWA to their Las Animas county lists. (There are very few
county records on eBird for it, although one of them is from the person who
did the survey last year that I just did. This may be a reliable regular
location for it.)

On another curious note, during my survey I heard a distinct call from a
Callipepla quail, and what I am certain was a Gambel's Quail, shortly after
5 am at the very start of my survey. If you are curious to read more of the
details of this encounter as well as my thoughts on it, you can read my
comments in my eBird checklist for it. Feel free to contact me backchannel
(i.e., not on CoBirds) if you have thoughts or questions about this record.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57322300

Good birding,
Eric

-------