Date: 6/12/19 11:27 am
From: Jim and Karen Rowe <00000131a1cf8fbc-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Of non-migrating migrating birds
Glenn:Your best bet in order to get a handle on Red-tailed Hawk subspecies, color morphs and migration is to go to Cornell's Birds of North America, pay $5.00 for the 30 day introductory rate (more than well worth it for the info you will have at your fingertips) and then go to Red-tailed Hawk and visit the section on Distribution and Migration.  It addresses distribution in the Americas, Overview of Migration, Timing and Routes of Migration, Migratory Behavior, and Control and Physiology of Migration.
Karen
On Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 8:52:40 AM CDT, Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...> wrote:

I have always been curious about how migration works.  Here in Arkansas we have a lot of Red-tailed Hawks in the winter time.  Quite a few Belted Kingfishers too.  But, in the summer there aren't nearly as many.  Has anybody figured out why some of the RTHA fly north for the summer, and some don't?  Is it always the same birds that don't migrate?  Or, could it be possible that all the RTHA in Arkansas for the winter do fly north, and the few we see here in the summer actually fly up from further south?  With all the bird banding there has to be somebody with those answers.
Thanks.
Glenn WyattCabot

Join us on Facebook!