Date: 6/11/19 7:59 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: WAAy out on a limb addendum
Darrel,

While I totally respect your observational abilities (and loved your book!) the problem with 40 year old records (or 5 year old records, for that matter) is that the time for objective reflection has long passed. It isn’t limited to you, I’m the same way and so is virtually everyone. Forty years ago you convinced yourself that you saw a LeConte’s Thrasher. You remember all the details that led you to that conclusion and you forget those that didn’t fit. That’s why Records Committees are very reluctant to accept records that aren’t submitted reasonably close to the time of the sighting. Here’s the ebird map for LeConte’s. It pretty much explains the probability of that species being recorded north of say, Sacramento.

Tom Crabtree, Bend