Date: 6/11/19 2:05 pm
Subject: Re: "Exploring the possibility" of an NC Breeding Bird Atlas
Harry

I really have enjoyed birding in NC in the past few months and have seen some great birds and been to many eBird Hotspots.

However there is one thing that really ticks me off and that is the NC State Park System.

I have been hampered many time in trying to find Owls and Goatsuckers and early morning song birds because the parks gates are locked up and they don’t open to 0800 hrs. By then most of the birds have slowed down their singing.

Also some of the State Parks are completely closed and don’t allow any access even by Foot in the winter.

Many of great bird records are being overlooked just because the Park service caters to every other outdoor activities except birding. It’s a down right shame.

If the NC birders plan on doing another atlas then the state parks need to be opened at an earlier time to allow birders access to the parks.

Good Birding Always

From my iPhone

May God Bless and Keep You

Jeff Blalock
103 Elizabeth Court
South Boston VA 24592
434-470-4352 Cell
<jcbabirder...>

> On Jun 11, 2019, at 11:57 AM, Harry LeGrand (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> To address Dr. Enders' last point in his Fish Crow posting: "Sooner or later we may get the second NC atlas started, though, as I frequently think, progress is (often) made by the death of old people."
>
> Yes, the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission is "exploring the possibility" of starting a North Carolina Breeding Bird Atlas. Here is what I copied from a message sent by WRC's John Carpenter to a number people, mostly in various agencies and universities. There is an initial planning meeting to be held in July. But, as the message and the Proposed Timeline says "start date of 2021", it may well indeed begin after the "death of old people" like Frank and me!
>
> "The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission is now exploring the possibility of conducting a breeding and wintering bird atlas with a tentative start date of 2021. A state-wide atlas would require volunteer surveys of over 800 survey grids, engaging approximately 1,400 citizen scientists over 6 years of survey effort. Successful atlases in other states cost upwards of $2 million and employ full-time staff whose duties are primarily to recruit, deliver, and implement the Atlas. An effort on this scale requires strong partnerships and involvement from a diverse group of stakeholders."
>
> Stay tuned, you "citizen scientists"!
>
> Harry LeGrand
> Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!