Date: 6/11/19 1:53 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Deer Grove East (Of Local Interest Only) Tuesday 6-11-19
Hello Bird People,

This is one of those reports from a local area which contains not one
out of the ordinary bird.
So only read on only if you're interested in this location.

Last year there was a singing Sedge Wren here as well as a calling
Least Bittern. But not this year or at least not yet. Strangest sound
was what sounded like a Bobwhite but I was far away & by the time I
got to where I thought the sound was coming from it had stopped.
Perhaps it was just an imitator but remember that a Bobwhite was at
Bartel Grasslands last year so listen up if you visit Deer Grove East
just in case. Here's my day list:

Deer Grove East (7:45-10:30 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (1)
Great Egret (1 & 1 fly-by)
Green Heron (1 fly-by)
Canada Goose (1 & 9 fly-bys)
Wood Duck (1 fly-by)
Mallard (3)
HOODED MERGANSER (1-F in a small pond)
Rock Pigeon (1 fly-by)
Red Headed Woodpecker (1)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (4)
Downy Woodpecker (1-M)
Hairy Woodpecker (1-F)
Flicker (3)
Eastern Pewee (H-3)
Willow Flycatcher (2)
Eastern Kingbird (1)
Tree (8), Rough Winged (2), Cliff (1) & Barn (15) Swallows
Blue Jay (4)
Chickadee (H-1)
W.B. Nuthatch (H-1)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (1)
(I was surprised I had no House Wrens today?)
Robins (~15)
Gray Catbird (2)
Brown Thrasher (H-1)
Starling (12-14)
Warbling Vireo (4)
Yellow Warbler (H-1)
Common Yellowthroat (7)
Field Sparrow (H-1)
Savannah Sparrow (1)
Song Sparrow (9)
Swamp Sparrow (H-2)
Cardinal (H-1)
Indigo Bunting (1-M)
Red Wings (~15) & Grackles (2)
Baltimore Oriole (H-1)
Goldfinch (2)
(I also found no Grasshopper or Henslow's Sparrows but maybe I just
could not hear them?
No Cranes either today)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the slightly surprising female Hooded Merganser &
Runner Up to the Red Headed Woodpecker. My record of never finding a Pileated
Woodpecker at this location continues.

Al Stokie
Local in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>