Date: 6/11/19 9:01 am
Subject: "Exploring the possibility" of an NC Breeding Bird Atlas
To address Dr. Enders' last point in his Fish Crow posting: "Sooner or
later we may get the second NC atlas started, though, as I frequently
think, progress is (often) made by the death of old people."

*Yes, the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission is "exploring the possibility"
of starting a North Carolina Breeding Bird Atlas. *Here is what I copied
from a message sent by WRC's John Carpenter to a number people, mostly in
various agencies and universities. There is an initial planning meeting to
be held in July. But, as the message and the Proposed Timeline says "start
date of 2021", it may well indeed begin after the "death of old people"
like Frank and me!

"The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission is now exploring the
possibility of conducting a breeding and wintering bird atlas with
a tentative start date of 2021. A state-wide atlas would require volunteer
surveys of over 800 survey grids, engaging approximately 1,400 citizen
scientists over 6 years of survey effort. Successful atlases in other
states cost upwards of $2 million and employ full-time staff whose
duties are primarily to recruit, deliver, and implement the Atlas. An
effort on this scale requires strong partnerships and involvement from a
diverse group of stakeholders."

Stay tuned, you "citizen scientists"!

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh