Date: 6/10/19 8:55 pm
From: Angela Batliner-Calabrese <cbreseangela...>
Subject: [obol] Malheur Trip Report 6/4 to 6/7
Last week I visited Malheur NWR along with Emilie Chen and Dick Vreeland.
It was the first time visiting Malheur for all of us.

Emilie and I headed out on Monday, June 3rd in the evening. We spent the
night at the Best Western in Sisters. Some birding at the hotel yielded us
the expected species. Notable birds for us included White-headed
Woodpecker, all 3 nuthatches, Purple Finch, Pine Siskin, California Quail,
and a Say's Phoebe building a nest next to one of the hotel rooms.

We stopped briefly at Calliope Crossing. We did not see the white
woodpecker but we did pick up Calliope Hummingbird, Olive-sided Flycatcher,
and Chipping Sparrow.

Finally we drove to Burns. Almost immediately after turning onto Highway
205 the sky seemed to be filled with White-faced Ibis, Franklin's Gulls,
and Forster's Terns. There was much excitement in the car as all three of
these were lifers for me.

Dick joined us at the Field Station the next morning. At the Field Station
we encountered numerous Common Nighthawks on the fences. We also shared the
place with a female American Kestrel, Bullock's Orioles, a Great Horned Owl
that was heard but never seen, and a pair of Say's Phoebe with a nest. I
heard a Common Poorwill at 4:15 am on one morning (another lifer for me).
Another morning we had a flyby Golden Eagle. Dick encountered an Eastern
Kingbird on one walk around the Field Station.

Along Central Patrol Road we encountered 2 Eastern Kingbirds, Willow
Flycatchers, Black-necked Stilt, a Spotted Sandpiper, a Redhead, a Northern
Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Sage Thrasher, Black Tern, 2 River Otters, and
so much more. One of the best sightings was a pair of Short-eared Owl
harassing a Coyote. Many lifers were had by all.

In the town of French Glen we experienced Starlings mimicking a whole
variety of birds. We heard Sora, Sand-hill Crane, and Killdeer coming all
out of a flock of starlings in one tree.

At Page Springs Campground we found Black-throated Gray Warblers and Cedar
Waxwings. There were Yellow-breasted Chat around every corner. Emilie and
Dick heard a Canyon Wren in the distance but I did not pick it up. Nearby
we found an Osprey nest and an American Dipper feeding a fledgling.

We found several American Avocets on Foster Flat Rd.

Diamond Lane gave us our lifer Bobolink as well as Willet and Long-billed
Curlew.

Along Ruh-Red road we encountered 4 Burrowing Owls, several Loggerhead
Shrike, a flyover Black-crowned Night-Heron, a Ferruginous Hawk, and Horned
Lark.

At headquarters we encountered Western Tanager, Warbling Vireo, Pine
Siskin, Swainson's Thrush, and a Red-tailed Hawk giving a ground squirrel
an eagle's eye view of the world. The Great Horned Owl fledglings were very
visible.

At headquarters we also had excellent views of Dwight Porter and Dan and
Anne Heyerly. On our last morning there we were treated with an appearance
by Alan Contreras.

On Friday morning Dick headed home, while Emilie and I made a quick stop at
the Hines Sewage Pond to pick up our nemesis Wilson's Phalarope, the only
bird we couldn't seem to find on the refuge that was specifically on our
list. We stopped at the Sage Hen rest area and picked up Brewer's Sparrow
and Mountain Bluebird. The bluebirds appear to be using a nest box at the
rest stop. One of our last sightings before leaving Harney County was a
Ferruginous Hawk diving into the field next to us.

It was an amazing trip, especially for 3 Malheur newbies such as ourselves.
Adjusting back to a "normal" life where I don't spend 14 hours a day
birding is difficult.

I gained 11 lifers on the trip. Emilie gained 8, and Dick came away with 17
new birds.

I just wanted to express my gratitude to all the other birders we
encountered during our trip. In Sisters we encountered a couple that told
us their favorite spots in the area. Dwight, Dan, Anne, and Alan all helped
us see the birds we were after with amazing directions. I want to thank
Harry Fuller and Jen Sanford for their blogs posts. I printed both and
brought them with me to use as guides while we were there.

I also want to note the generosity and kindness of the people of Burns for
pulling over and making sure we weren't having car trouble when they
spotted us along the side of the road.

I do not want to thank the mosquitoes for the numerous bites I received
despite copious amounts of bug spray.

In total Emilie and I saw 111 species together between Monday evening
leaving Portland and Friday afternoon. I have included our list of 111
species for those who are curious.

Angela

1. American crow
2. Turkey Vulture