Date: 6/10/19 3:01 pm
From: Deborah Grove <dsg4...>
Subject: Hop Bottom BBS route
Just a few thoughts after reading Glenn's BBS report. I ran my Hop Bottom route that starts in Susquehanna County with the first 10 stops and then goes into Wyoming ending south of Falls PA.
This is my fifth year for me and the amount of noise from fracking pads and traffic from water trucks has increased tremendously. When I was starting at Stop 1 at 5 am, I could hear a low hum. This grew louder until I finally came upon the source at Stop 4, a fracking operation just beyond the barnyard. This used to be a good stop of course in the early morning but yesterday was very frustrating.
We also did some county birding the day before and the roads in that part of the state are horrible. The companies should have been made to repair them. Oh, something new this year in the northern counties, a sign before you get to them saying Construction Entrance!

The other problem was nature and loud streams close to the car. It is hard to say how many species I missed due to this.

The route was established in 1967 and I added two species this year: Red-headed Woodpecker and Pine Warbler. Greg and I monitor RHWO here in Huntingdon county and are very familiar with the shrill Wheer call. No visual but undeniable. I checked eBird later and there are spotty records in the area within 15 to 30 miles.
We have breeding Pine Warblers here on our ridge in Huntingdon county and are familiar with that sweet trill.

66 species and 605 individuals, fairly average numbers for the BBS route in this century. Higher numbers occurred in the previous century.
Also, my numbers of individuals are fairly similar to others recorded this century.
Big misses were Killdeer, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Chimney Swift, and Pileated Woodpecker, although these are usually low numbers anyway.
Some of my new high counts were for Song Sparrow 33, Red-eyed Vireo 38, House Wren 20,and Cedar Waxwing tied for 28.

Those that were somewhat lower than average numbers for this CENTURY were Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Eastern Phoebe, Warbling Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, American Crow, Yellow Warbler and Song Sparrow.
10 warbler species

One more BBS route in Rothrock (Greg's) this season and my 2 in southeastern Ohio to go. The breeding period is over so fast.

Wood Duck 1
Mallard 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Bald Eagle 1