Date: 6/9/19 8:02 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Jay Question
Sally and all,

To me, this bird looks more like a California Scrub-Jay, albeit one on the
less colorful side. I see a rather well-pronounced white eyebrow, a rather
thick bill with a curved culmen, a noticeable, quite well-defined contrast
between the blue head and brownish back, and a very white underside. The
breast band isn't as colorful or pronounced as in some California SJs, but
still rather noticeable.

In my experience, Woodhouse's are really dingy-looking, with a pale
grayish-blue head that fades into a grayish-brown back, a very poorly
defined breast band, and dingy grayish underparts with bluish to
bluish-gray undertail coverts. The bill on Woodhouses's tends to look
thinner and straighter than in CASJ.

Oscar and I have seen birds matching that description in the Deep Creek
Canyon southwest of Adel in years past. Unfortunately, this was before I
had a decent camera at my disposal, and before the scrub-jays were
officially split, so I have no evidence to back up our observations. But we
always felt those birds in the arid juniper groves were Woodhouse's. We
hope to revisit the area sometime this summer and maybe get some conclusive
photos. I fact, I encourage anyone birding in southeastern Lake County to
pay close attention to any scrub-jays and to try and get photos, if
possible.

Good birding

Hendrik

.