Date: 6/9/19 5:55 pm
From: Andy Wilson <awilson.gettysburg...>
Subject: [MDBirding] belated: exciting nocturnal flight survey, Frederick, 1st/2nd May
Dear all

Just over a year ago I had my first attempts at recording nocturnal flight
calls from my backyard in Frederick. It takes forever to go through and
identify everything in the recordings, which is why, some six weeks on, I'm
reporting the results of just one night, 1st/2nd May 2019. It was a busy
night with over 7,000 bird calls (NFCs = calls) of more than 50 species. A
few highlights:

1 Willet - subject to acceptance. Would be first in Frederick for 34 years
(at least in eBird data)
14 American Bitterns (total 23 NFCs)
2 Common Gallinules
6 Sora
3 Virginia Rails
Barn Owl (have detected these most nights - must be resident locally!)

The top 12 species based on estimated individuals (conservative estimates,
I might add):

White-throated Sparrow - 669
Ovenbird - 292
Veery - 254
Wood Thrush - 252
Common Yellowthroat - 214
Indigo Bunting - 166
Chipping Sparrow - 144
Black-throated Blue Warbler - 108
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 105
Swainson's Thrush - 96
Savannah Sparrow - 95
American Redstart - 89

I didn't attempt to identify 1000 warbler NFCs which fall into "short
rising seep", "buzz", and "descending seep" complexes, which are too tough
for me. I suspect 100s of Black-throated Greens. Also not confident about
most cuckoo calls (50+), but a lot of them sound like Black-billed to me.
Still lots to learn, just a year into this new type of birding, I feel very
green but have already learned a ton.

I'd be happy to share advice and resources with anyone--please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Here's my eBird checklist (following the established eBird protocol) for
the second half of the night, with lots of recordings embedded:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56780264

--
Andy Wilson
Frederick, MD/Gettysburg College, PA