Date: 6/9/19 4:25 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto-Brown island Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS MINTO-BROWN ISLAND PARK BIRD WALK REPORT*

*JUNE 9, 2019*

Hi all,

For today’s Salem Audubon Society field trip at Minto-Brown Island Park,
Fred, Kay, Barbara and I were joined by 12 other birders, including a few
newcomers.

The morning was very pleasant with mostly clear skies and little to no
wind. The temperatures ranged from 51 degrees to 65 degrees.

We first walked along the trail from Parking Lot #3 to the river then took
a left to go along the river. We continued along the trail leading to Eola
Bend County Park but turned left toward the landfill before reaching the
county park. Then we walked along the landfill out across the fields
before reaching the Blue Heron Trail. Next, we headed across the slough
bridge then returned to Parking Lot #3.

Highlights of the morning included several mixed flocks of songbirds which
consisted of several Brown Creepers, Black-capped Chickadees, American
Robins and several species of warblers. We had good looks at a male Rufous
Hummingbird, a brilliant male Red-breasted Sapsucker and Cedar
Waxwings. One of the nicest sightings was a Caspian Tern flying over the
Willamette River.

In all, we observed (saw or heard) 52 species. For a complete list of the
birds observed, see the list below.

Mike Unger

Upcoming:

- Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge field trip on Tuesday, June 18th at 7:00
AM

- Keizer Rapids Park shorts bird walk on Tuesday, June 25 at 9:00 AM

Consult the Kestrel, SAS website or SAS Facebook page for details.

————————————————————

Minto-Brown Island Park, Marion, Oregon, US
June 9, 2019 6:47 AM - 10:34 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.53 mile(s)
52 species (+2 other taxa)