Date: 6/9/19 2:24 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Little Egret - No, Acadian Flycatcher - NO, but 2 Mississippi Kites in Durham
I started the day searching the coast for the Little Egret from
yesterday, but no luck.  In fact, there were several other birders
searching as well, but no luck.  From what I heard, there were no
definite sightings at least into the mid-afternoon.  Kind of
frustrating.....let's hope it returns!

Then I headed to Pawtuckaway in search of an Acadian Flycatcher reported
yesterday.  I met up with Susan Wrisley, Zeke Cornell, and Becky Suomala
as well.  We spent about 2 hours searching the park, bu none of us had
any luck with the flycatcher....or Cerulean. (however, we didn't hike up
Middle Mountain Trail)  The last Acadian Flycatcher I had at Pawtuckway
SP was back in 2003!!!  My prior sightings (by song) from Pawtuckaway SP
were 7/7/91, 7/13/98, 5/24/99, 5/14/00, and 6/8/03.

The bird list was rather ordinary, and typical for Pawtuckaway SP:

Jun 9, 2019 8:19 AM - 10:44 AM
45 species
Wood Duck  3
Mourning Dove  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1     Heard only.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1     Drumming.
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Least Flycatcher  6
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  3
Yellow-throated Vireo  3
Blue-headed Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  18
Blue Jay  3
Tree Swallow  1
Tufted Titmouse  1
Brown Creeper  2     Both singing.
Veery  4
Wood Thrush  2
American Robin  3
Gray Catbird  2
Cedar Waxwing  1
American Goldfinch  1
Chipping Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  2
Baltimore Oriole  2
Red-winged Blackbird  5
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
Common Grackle  1
Ovenbird  11
Louisiana Waterthrush  1     Singing from Hemlock grove.
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  3
American Redstart  5
Yellow Warbler  2
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1     Singing along loop road near an
historic spot where I typically get this species.
Pine Warbler  3
Prairie Warbler  1     Power lines.
Black-throated Green Warbler  1     Hemlock Grove only.
Scarlet Tanager  2
Northern Cardinal  1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Indigo Bunting  1     Power lines.

Then I headed back to Durham and checked out on the Mississippi Kites.
When I got to last year's nest tree along Madbury Road, I couldn't see
any definite signs of a new nest, but there appeared to be some sticks
(remains from last year?) in last year's location.  I soon located 2
kites, possibly a male and female, circling and feeding above Madbury
Road to the north.  So....good to see 2 kites, and, assuming there isn't
a 3rd bird around, then it appears they haven't started incubation yet.

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA