Date: 6/9/19 1:04 pm
From: Dorsey, Kurk <Kurk.Dorsey...>
Subject: [NHBirds] some Durham highlights
Birders,

I am happy to report that the state's strategic prairie warbler reserve is full, courtesy of the Thompson Forest and state land on Bennett Road, both in Durham. In both places it's pretty much impossible to avoid the little tail-waggers and their wonderful song. If they would just eat ticks they'd be perfect, but it may be that they do eat ticks and hence are so plentiful.

At Bennett Road, there also were chestnut-sided and blue-winged warblers everywhere, with field sparrows, veeries, and other nice singers. The highlight though was a Nashville warbler (not to be confused with the similar Memphis crooner), which seems pretty late. A yellow-billed cuckoo also was calling. I first birded that spot on May 4th and have piled up 76 species already.

At home, a black-billed cuckoo was calling this morning, so a two-cuckoo day isn't just at work.

Moore fields was crawling with bobolinks, at least 20, including some across the road, but that density was in part because UNH is mowing the right side of the field, so not really good news. I have to think that the birds are nesting by now, and the way the males were competing made me wonder if displaced males were crowding established males. Or maybe they're just naturally ornery...

Kurk Dorsey

Durham