Date: 6/8/19 5:37 pm
From: Michael Fialkovich <0000012b4af48ab0-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Butler County BBS
Hi,
I ran my Butler County Breeding Bird Survey today. The route starts in Chicora and works south to Sarver in the eastern part of the county. It was a cool 54 degrees at the start of the survey with mostly clear skies and light winds.
I was within hearing range of cicadas for just over half of the stops along the route. They were not loud enough to affect my ability to hear the birds.
Highlights:
I had both cuckoos (two of each) this year which was nice; I haven't had a Black-billed for years. I saw a Yellow-billed fly into a tree as I was counting; it began calling and then flew off. Perhaps the abundance of cicadas are drawing them in.
Willow Flycatchers at five stops; the most I ever remember.

Yellow-throated Vireo at three stops. White-eyed Vireo and Warbling Vireo.

Purple Martin - a single bird. I believe I had one in the past but this was a surprise. It's been a long time.

Cedar Waxwings at ten stops.

Warblers: Ovenbirds, Chestnut-sided Warblers, Hooded Warblers, an American Redstart, Yellow Warblers, Common Yellowthroats, a Blue-winged Warbler and a Black-and-white Warbler at the traditional spot which was a miss last year.

Eastern Meadowlark - one calling at a farm; a species that I don't always find.

Purple Finch - a pair and perhaps a few more. The pair flew off and other birds flew around some evergreens but they were too fast for me to get on them.
I missed Brown Thrasher at the last stop--one appeared after I had finished.

I saw an Opossum crossing the road on the way to the starting point and during the survey I saw a Hairy-tailed Mole running across the road.

Mike Fialkovich

Pittsburgh Area, Allegheny County

Join us on Facebook!