Date: 6/8/19 4:05 pm
From: Aaron Balogh <crotalus269...>
Subject: [wisb] Hooded Warbler pair - Red Pine Trail, Black River State Forest - Jackson County
Hello WI Birders,
I was out hiking with my girlfriend in the BRSF today and came across a
song that I almost passed off as a late Magnolia Warbler. We tracked down
the bird out of curiosity and realized it was a Hooded Warbler. After
watching it for a while we saw another flash of yellow in the undergrowth
below and sure enough there was a female. I don’t know if they’re nesting
or not but sure seems likely - the habitat is suitable. I thought I’d pass
along the sighting especially since it’s not on the Jackson County list
according to eBird. Would be interesting if someone tracked the breeding
status throughout the season for the atlas.

My phone died during the hike so couldn’t take a GPS point but from what I
remember they were about a quarter mile south from where the Wildcat Trail
meets the Red Pine trail. High quality, fairly open, oak/maple dominated
hardwood forest.

Good luck if you go looking.

-Aaron Balogh & Kim O’Keefe
Middleton, WI