Date: 6/8/19 12:48 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Bewick's Wren at Hindsville
A Bewick’s Wren (brown, eastern form) was at Hindsville in Madison County today. Observation occurred when we were driving through Hindsville on our way to a field trip on Cave Mountain in Buffalo National River. We were slow-driving while preparing to look for Grasshopper Sparrows on the old Prairie Township at Hindsville. We heard an unusual distant song. Towhee??? Vivek Govind Kumar suggested Bewick’s Wren. It took a few minutes to narrow down the location, but soon we all had views (besides Vivek, Elizabeth Adam, Barry Bennett and I). We stopped by same place on our way back, this time with a few more from the field trip. We were given permission to look for it in a spot with a bunch of farm machinery. We soon had the bird. Everyone got to see and hear it. Once a common Arkansas bird, Bewick's Wren has largely disappeared from the state and is now rare in both migration and especially in summer.

Join us on Facebook!