Date: 6/8/19 7:39 am
From: <t4c1x...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Common Nighthawk in Sherwood 6-5-2019
When I was in my teens I regularly saw Common Nighthawks flying around over Toledo, and also remember seeing them in Albany and Corvallis. I don't seem them in those locations any more, but as Lars pointed out, they can sometimes be seen around clearcuts. The logging landings provide nesting places and the open sky a place to feed. Their presence is such areas seems to last only three to five years following timber harvest. Probably by that time the landings have grown a cover of vegetation (often Himalayan blackberry or scotch broom) unsuitable for the nesting of nighthawks.
Darrel